Long before cell phones, texts, and email the U.S. Mail connected the nation. In the 1800s, the United States Post Office realized the potential of using the railroad to not only transport mail, but also sort it along the route. Mailbags once untouched for days were now opened and sorted
Compliant with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). This Harriman style coach was built in 1916. It was modified here at the Museum to have side loading doors for use with a lift so that it can accommodate wheelchairs and passengers who cannot climb stairs into the cars. A half-bath
A 1949 ex-Union Pacific Dining Car has completed its restoration. Permanent tables are now set up and 48 people can be accommodated for birthday parties and private functions. The recent project included the restoration of the original tables (below) and the acquisition of formal dining chairs – twelve tables of
The Open Air Passenger Car is of Heavyweight design. It has three axles (six wheels) on each truck instead of the two axles per truck used for the enclosed passenger cars. To give the car a smooth ride when it was in passenger service, the floor is several inches of
The Nevada Southern Railway caboose was rolled out for display for the first time in conjunction with the TTOS (Toy Train Operator’s Society) special run on 8 April 2006. The exterior restoration has been completed. Interior restoration is underway. The new sub-floor and the fabrication of the new doors and
UPRR #6264 Baldwin-Built Harriman Standard 2-8-0 This “Common Standard” Consolidation type steam locomotive with its 57” drivers was one of the four types of steam engines developed by the Associated Railroads in the first year of its locomotive program. The “Associated Railroads” consisted of the Southern Pacific, Chicago & Alton,
Locomotive Number 1000 was designed by Richard Dillworth and was built by the Electro-Motive Company in 1939. It is a type NW2, and was the demonstrator for this new class of yard switching locomotive. The 1,000 horsepower NW2 demonstrator, originally numbered 889, arrived at UP property in Omaha for a
Locomotive Number 844, a type GP-30, was built in 1963 by the ElectroMotive Division of General Motors, and ran on the Union Pacific. It was donated to the Museum, and refurbished in Union Pacific colors. It weighs approximately 125 tons, and has a turbocharged V16 engine that develops 2250 horsepower.