Locomotive Number 844, a type GP-30, was built in 1963 by the ElectroMotive Division of General Motors, and ran on the Union Pacific. It was donated to the Museum, and refurbished in Union Pacific colors. It weighs approximately 125 tons, and has a turbocharged V16 engine that develops 2250 horsepower.
Locomotive Number 1855 was built in 1953 and was used in service for the government in the Army Transportation Corps. It is unusual because it’s diesel engine is of opposed piston design. This type of engine was developed by the Fairbanks-Morse Company for use in diesel submarines. After World War