NSRM # 6246 Steam
UPRR #6264 Baldwin-Built Harriman Standard 2-8-0
This “Common Standard” Consolidation type steam locomotive with its 57”
drivers was one of the four types of steam engines developed by the Associated Railroads in the first year of its locomotive program. The “Associated Railroads” consisted of the Southern Pacific, Chicago & Alton, Union Pacific and its affiliates, Oregon Short Line and the Oregon-Washington RR & Navigation Co and were combined under one management in 1902 by E. H. Harriman. The group was later dissolved in 1913 by a court order, but many bridges, cars and locomotives were built to a “Common Standard” for all five railroad companies during this period. The Consolidation locomotive, or the 280 type were designed for hauling heavy trains over steep grades and were generally used as a mainline freight engine within the Union Pacific system. Locomotives of this type were designed and built with total weights varying between 150,000 to 300,000 pounds.
This ex-Union Pacific #264 (later renumbered #6264) is a 2-8-0 Consolidation type steam locomotive and was built for the Union Pacific by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1907. The #264 was one of the very last steam locomotives used in the UPRR system and was eventually taken out of service in early 1950 and stored in La Salle, CO until it was donated to the Sons of the Utah Pioneers in 1959. Later the locomotive was relocated to Heber City, UT in 1981 and the Nevada State Railroad Museum then purchased the locomotive and moved it to its present location here in Boulder City in 1993.